Friday, December 14, 2007

Eat Pray Love


I just finished one of the best books I have ever read in my 22 years of existence. It surpassed One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by flying colors. The magnificent work is Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I am pretty sure by know that you have heard about it on one level or another.


I don't really know what made me pick it up to begin with but I just knew, once I saw the cover that I had to read it and I am certainly glad I did. Her story is completely inspirational. I only dream that I could ever put my thoughts into words like she does. And I am utterly jealous of the life she is able to live.


I think every woman can so closely relate to her words because we have all been were she starts out. We have all been in that depressed darkness, if even only for a moment. I can relate so much to her when she speaks of how she loves someone. I am pretty sure I am the exact same.

I also love Richard from Texas' explanation of a soul mate:


"People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true

soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that's holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave."


How true is that? I can definitely see who those people in my life were... and as much as they TRULY hurt me they showed me the way. They are part of the reason I am who I am today.


And lastly I will end it with another great line taken from Richard from Texas lips, " You gotta start wearing your wishbone where your back bone oughtta be."


See not all people from Texas are blubbering fools....

2 comments:

Katy Shamitz said...

i just started this book! we'll have to chat about it when i finish. so far, i love her description of God- very cool. her chapter about depression and lonlieness were incredible too- writing about emotions as if they are people... unique perspective. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the book too, but gotta correct the quote, which I like as well. Should be
" You gotta *stop* wearing your wishbone where your back bone oughtta be." :-) page 150