Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Biopsy Wednesdays

Today was the day of the biopsy. I was a bunch of nerves this morning. So much so that I had the shakes. I even passed up getting a Starbucks on the way to the hospital for fear that it might cause some gastro-issues during the procedure...if you know what I mean...

I had to be at the hospital at 8 am. My mom and I arrived at around 8:15. We got to the hospital and immediately got lost. Although as we were walking down the halls I realized that it wasn't like Grey's Anatomy at all. No McDreamy's or McSteamy's...nothing. Only a little old lady who was an obvious volunteer, whom shuffled us in the right direction.

I got back to the room and they took all my statistic stuff down and made me change into a not so fashionable robe. They even gave me some hospital bracelets..this was getting downright fancy. They explained the procedure to my mom and I, then after a quick couple minutes to gather my thoughts, they walked me down to the room. It was like a walk of doom. Like I was going to be sacrificed to the boob biopsy gods. The cute little nurse who resembled Sally Field, ushered my mom to the waiting room then guided me to the biopsy room. She really was nice as can be, her name was Amy, I guess you cant go wrong with a person named Amy. I think if her name had been Hilda I would have been a little more scared.

Amy got me prepped for my ultrasound and the technician took a look at the mass in my right breast. She said it didn't look "cyst like" and said that it was more of a mass. This meant that I wasn't getting a fine needle aspiration, but rather a REAL biopsy. yikes. I started crying because I was so nervous!

After the ultrasound, the doctor came in and prepped me for the biopsy. Now this time I really felt like I was on Grey's, the doctor had a distinct resemblance to Addison! I promise.. even though she left to Private Practice..

Amy held my hand and talked to me about Jackson throughout the entire procedure. The only part that truly hurt was after the biopsy was over and they needed to place a metal marker by the mass. The doctor said the tissue samples all looked good and benign, but she isn't a pathologist so she couldn't be 100% correct.

I am now sitting here with a bandaged up boob and new worries of my results. I think this will be the hardest part...waiting.

5 comments:

Krystle said...

I'm glad it wasn't so scary. I'll be praying the results are good!

Deseree said...

MaeMae,
You are in my prayers and thoughts sweetie. Hang in there mama!

Love ya

Katy Shamitz said...

(((((Maegan)))))
I hope your wait is short.

Anonymous said...

This is just so hard! I hope everything's ok. I'll be praying!

Anonymous said...

My wonderful Maegan. I am so proud of you. You did so well during this procedure and I have to admit I thought you would walk out. I knew it would come out OK and now the wait, but I know in my heart all will be fine. As you know I have been through the same thing but with cancer and when they tell you it doesn't look like cancer or it does, they are usually on the money, so your Dr. feeling this way is great news. You absolutely mean the world to me and I am so mad I was unable to be there with you but I hope you know you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I love you more than life itself.
Nana