Monday, March 9, 2009

Therpay Session Included in Tuition Cost...

I went in for an advising session today. I am REALLY thinking about changing my major from Art to English. So, my advisor would be the one that steers me in the correct direction. So I went in to the advising office at 10 am today, the Monday of my Spring Break week. I wasn't the most enthusiastic person in the school, that's for sure.

When I met with my advisor she began to ask me questions.. What do you want to do with your English Major? Being the main question.. I begin laying it out there, "I want get my teachers certification and I am just not sure that art would be the way to go, I consider myself more creative linguistically than I am when I apply charcoal to a piece of drawing paper."

After some more questions she looks over at me and says, " Ya know. I just don't know if this is the right major for you. You just don't seem to excited about being a teacher. Teachers need to want to make that difference, you just don't have that. Ya know, what is your passion in life?"

Hmm.. my passion... She even said, "What do you secretly want to do with life..when you are sitting at home with no one around, what do you aspire to be in life?"

WOW. That's hard. What I want to do.. sit at home in my big mansion and eat grapes, fed to me by my big muscular cabana boy. But I couldn't possibly let that secret out...not to her. So I told her I love to write. I also love art, but I would love to be a freelance writer or have a blog or online magazine."

This isn't eve the deepest this convo got. We got into my idea of having a child and needing to provide for him before I can achieve my own dreams. What I want out of school. What she sees me doing in life. And let me just say that everything she was saying, really hit the nail on the head. It was exactly what I wanted to do.

I really just wanted to be laying on a couch, box of tissues in hand, spilling out why I am the person I am. Really, she brought that out in me.

I left that advising meeting, truly excited about school again. I am excited to have a path now. To know that I am going into the right direction for me.

I am SO glad that she brought to my attention that there was no fire behind my eyes. Because there isn't. There IS NONE. I have no idea what direction I am going.. I really feel like I am floating in academia. With no clear cut idea of who I am or where I am going.

Thank goodness for that advising session today... really, because I kind of feel a spark again.

1 comment:

CoCo said...

I'm psyched to see that your advisor took the time to really listen to you! Go for it!