Saturday, November 29, 2008

Waiting for my karma check..

I know the point of doing good deeds is to pay it forward. But there is also that nice cliche that no good deed goes unnoticed. So I am crossing my fingers that this will be the case for me. Those that know me personally, know that I was born with an unlucky streak.

The most I have ever won in a scratch off was $2.00. I've never won at bingo. You get the picture. But maybe its because I don't really give back. Maybe it was karma.

Well I am proud to announce that I gave back...twice, in one week. (insert applause here)

For Thanksgiving, my family adopted two soldiers from Lackland AFB. We picked them up at 9 am and they hung out with us until 6 pm. They got fed like they haven't in weeks. Plus they got to call home and use the Internet. Pretty much feel connected like to society like they haven't in weeks. During basic training they cannot even leave the base. Neither of them were from here and they hadn't gotten to experience anything that San Antonio had to offer...the shame! They ended up being great. They were so nice and appreciative. I felt connected to them by the time they left, and I truly wish them well in all their endeavors. I think they will make fine airmen and later on patrolmen(that's what they want to be later on in life).

Then today I bought my first pair of Toms shoes. Love these things. Everyone else thinks they are ugly.. but I think they are awesome! Plus, every pair that is bought, another gets donated to children who do not have shoes. How awesome is that!??

So there goes my good deeds for the week so far. I still have another day to continue paying it forward... I just might go find me a homeless guy and give him some moolah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maegan,

Just wanted to drop by and say thank you for posting about TOMS Shoes on your blog and for sharing TOMS Shoes with your readers. This Holiday season TOMS wants to give 30,000 pairs of shoes to children in Ethiopia. Watch our awesome Holiday video on our homepage: www.TOMSshoes.com. I'd love to send you a little gift to show our appreciation. Will you email me your mailing address?

Take care,
Brittany

Anonymous said...

Maegan:
Now I will have to disagree with you that you were born unlucky. I personally think you are one lucky young lady. You have a wonderful family who has always loved and supported you, because of all the good things you did in school you got to pick out the car of your choice when you were 16 years old, you have a wonderful darling little boy, you are making great grades in college and may I remind you that we did take you to play bingo one night and you won $500. How soon we forget.